Thursday, August 24, 2006

San Diego Democratic Club Meeting

At 7pm in Hillcrest, there was a meeting for the San Diego Democratic Club which is one of the most successful and most influential Democratic organizations in San Diego. This specific organization represents the GLBT community and they have done an incredible job at this.

During the announcement section of the meeting, I spoke to the crowd of about 60 to 70 people. As I spoke, I got more angry and made it clear that what happened was WRONG and to see the San Diego Police Department continue to ignore the possibility that this crime was a hate crime was a big shadow over the Deaf Community. I explained to them that we were just a small group with no political power and I wasn't sure if we would be able to grab enough attention for this issue but if we DID succeed at gaining attention that I hope the GLBT community will support us. They all applauded and several people smiled and gave me the thumbs up after I sat down.

Now they know about this incident, now we need to keep spreading the word!

The two goals are:

(1) Overwhelm the city council's email with complaints and concerns about this incident from Deaf people all over the country.
(2) Get as many San Diego Deaf people to send in letters.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should also send this article and statements from different people to the radio station. let us be heard.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home