Monday, August 28, 2006

UPDATES

The e-mails definitely made an impact! So far 43 e-mails were sent to the City Council and Mayor's Offices. I called four of the offices today and they all were very aware of the e-mails. In fact when I called one city councilman's office, I introduced myself and asked to speak to someone about the incident and the person right away said "Yes, you guys are the ones sending all those e-mails." So they ARE getting the e-mails and ARE aware of us which is definitely good.

Even when I called the Police Chief's Office the officer that answered the phone immediately recognized our cause and when I introduced myself and said they were very aware of what was going on.

This is very good news because this means word is getting around about our cause.

Two major updates to report...

This Wednesday there will be a meeting with Councilwoman Toni Atkins' staff to discuss this issue in more depth. The meeting will take place at the City Hall offices on the City Council Floor near the top of the building at 9:30am. If anyone wants to join me please let me know! I was unable to request an interpreter due to it being short notice.

Councilwoman Atkins' office along with a member of the Police Advisory Committee referred me to Ashley Walker the Exec Director of the Human Relations Commission. They both advised that I could file complaints against departments or persons for discrimination and general issues. I contacted Ms. Walker regarding Officer Donelson's stubborness and unwillingness to listen to the Deaf Community. After further discussion, Ms. Walker suggested that we meet with the Police Chief himself for a meeting to discuss this issue and if it still doesn't work out we could go ahead and officially file the complaint with the City.

After calling the Chief's office, an appointment was made for September 6th at 4:15pm. The meeting will take place at the Police Headquarters at the end of Broadway street in Downtown. Please let me know if you would like to come too, just e-mail me at PepeCervantes@gmail.com and we can all meet at 4pm in the Police Headquarters Lobby.

Interpreters have been requested and the Officer who I spoke with on the phone had quite a sense of humor, when I requested an interpreter the Officer said I could bring my own and I said "We both know the law, you provide the interpreters" and the operator said that the Officer starting laughing really hard and then said "I know, I know." At least the Police Department is aware of the Americans with Disabilities Act otherwise I would have been damned if they didn't.

But this is definitely big that we were able to get an appointment with the Police Chief of America's 8th Largest City. And from what Ms. Walker told me, the Chief usually likes to take care of situations and that after meeting with the Chief it is very uncommon for complaints to be filed with the Human Relations Commission. So that is a good sign that perhaps we will be able to come to a compromise but it is my hope that we will have the thugs caught by then!

Thats the update for today. Thank you to everyone who sent e-mails and made all of this possible!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I just heard the news on the radio. The suspect who allegedly assaulted a Deaf young boy is being currently tracked down and searched by the San Diego policemen and crime fighting organization. I hadn't caught the name of the organization. But there is one puzzling thing: they're chasing after only one suspect, not several suspects as you specified in your blog. I made a post about it at my blog.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home